Minnesota State Bar Association
Legal Assistance to the Disadvantaged Committee
September 10, 2013
Present: Sally Silk and Janine Laird (co-chairs), Theresa Murray Hughes, Pat Burns, Cynthia Anderson, Cathy Haukedahl, Gary Hird, Ellie Krug, Emily Lindholm, Gina DeConcini, Bridget Gernander, Dianne Heins, Sue Pontinen, Jim Baillie, Katie Trotzky, Caitlin Elliott, Steve Marchese (MSBA staff)
By Telephone: Sara Schwebs, Lea Fisher, Alysia Zens, Anna Beadle
- Welcome to Janine Laird as co-chair.
- Introduction of Gina Deconcini and Caitlin Elliott as new members
- Program Presentaton - Call for Justice (Ellie Krug)
- ATJ Staffing discussion (Sally Silk)
- 1.85 FTE restored for ATJ staffing
- Position description has been developed. MSBA Council needs to approve hiring at 9/20/13 Council Meeting
- Subcommittee Reports
- Pro Bono Council (Theresa Hughes)
- Long range initiative plan - discussion of suggested projects for LAD from the plan and the Council's planned ongoing and short term work:
- Working on emeritus and in house counsel promotion
- Judiciary subcommittee proposed to be resurrected
- Suggestions for leveraging metro lawyers for statewide client needs
- Law School Initiative (Janine Laird)
- Discussion of including poverty law topics on bar exam maybe addressed by LSI
- Significant decline in first year class sizes at local law schools
- IOLTA (Cathy Haukedahl)
- Moving forward to recognize the banks that have agreed to participate in the Prime Partners program later this fall.
- Cy Pres (Sue Pontinen)
- Proposal being vetted through various sections. Judiciary Committee was vetting it before going to Assembly for final approval in December. Questions and concerns about nexus requirement, the Minnesota Legal Services Foundation, potential effects on legislative funding, etc. More work to be done, including how to move forward.
- Subcommittee members revising talking points to address concerns. Committee meeting next week to map out strategy for outreach. More specific proposal would need to follow.
- Civil Gideon (Sally Silk)
- Organizing an educational campaign through CLEs with Family Law and Admin Law sections
- Had a delay in getting presentation revised this summer but now working to get new assistance from MJF law student
- Discussion re: new LAD initiatives
- Consensus to revive the Judiciary Subcommittee – sign-up sheet circulated
- LAD co-chairs to review remaining suggestions from long range plan and propose course of action at November meeting
- Pro Bono Week – 10/20-26/13 (Steve Marchese)
- Full calendar of activities available on ProjusticeMN.org
- Integrating Pro Bono CLE program set for Tuesday, 10/22 at Fredrikson & Byron, featuring three panels and introductory remarks by Chief Justice Gildea and MSBA President Phil Duran.
- ATJ Messaging (Steve Marchese)
- Subcommittee reconvening participants from ATJ Summit to review work of consultants and committee on 9/24/13.
- Next meeting: November 5, 2013