Reimbursement of Volunteers Policy
(Adopted by the Council 7/20/12)
1. Member Reimbursement Policy
Members of committees and sections may devote a substantial amount of time to MSBA activities related to their committee or section or otherwise. As an organization of members who volunteer their time to MSBA activities, the MSBA does not compensate members for this time unless approved in advance by the MSBA Council. Members are eligible for reimbursement of ordinary and reasonable expenses including but not limited to travel, lodging and meal expenses and charges for copying, postage, and telephone incurred in connection with participating in MSBA activities related to their committee or section or otherwise.
2. Council Member Reimbursement Policy
Council members are required to devote a substantial amount of time to MSBA activities. As volunteers, members will not receive compensation for this time. Council members are eligible for fee waivers or reimbursement of reasonable travel, lodging, and meal expenses incurred in connection with participating in MSBA activities.
3. Section Members Reimbursement Policy
Sections generate dues and other revenue to cover their expenses. All section funds must be kept under the control of the MSBA accounting office. Sections may direct the reimbursement of members for out-of-pocket expenses that are ordinary and appropriate and the executive director shall pay those and other section expenses to the extent of available funds. If the executive director questions whether an expense is ordinary or appropriate, he shall refer the matter to the MSBA Council. Sections are required to comply with the “Member Reimbursement Policy.”
4. Officer Reimbursement Policy
WHEREAS, service as an officer of this Association is a five year long commitment consisting of service for successive years as Secretary, Treasurer, President Elect, President and Immediate Past President;
WHEREAS, service as an officer of this Association entails considerable sacrifice on the part not only of the members so serving, but of their law firms or the organizations for which they work;
WHEREAS, it is in the best long-term interest of this Association to attract members willing to serve as an officer of the Association who are confident, committed and dedicated to such service;
NOW, THEREFORE, be it hereby resolved by the Council of the Minnesota State Bar Association that the following policy be enacted for all then serving officers, excluding the immediate past president, commencing July 1, 2009 and all future years until and unless this policy is rescinded or amended:
1. That during his/her year as president, the president is entitled to receive an annual stipend of between $10,000 and $12,000 (as set during the Council’s budgeting process);
2. That officers are entitled to be reimbursed for their reasonable out-of-pocket expenses while engaged on Association business to include but not necessarily limited to mileage and parking expense reimbursement, meals and lodging in a manner consistent with regulations promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service;
3. That following election each officer and his law firm will be provided with an opportunity to order an advertisement in the Minnesota State Bar Association magazine, Bench & Bar, at a time and in a manner of their choosing at no cost to the officer or his/her law firm or legal employer;