Section Benefits and Activities
Some of the benefits of membership in the Children & the Law Section include:
- Access to up-to-date information on critical issues affecting Minnesota’s children and the law related to children’s issues through council/roundtable meetings, electronic news updates and CLE offerings;
- A forum for child advocates to meet and address common concerns and issues through council/roundtable meetings and the section's annual meeting;
- Opportunities to meet, work with and build a network of contacts with child advocates;
- Opportunities to honor law students and attorneys who contribute to the area of children and the law;
- Chances to contribute to the legal profession and the community; and
- A vehicle for child advocates to have a voice in decision-making through input to and representation on local and statewide committees, commissions, task forces and court, bar association and legislative groups.
The Children & the Law Section activities and initiatives include:
- Section Council Meetings
- Section-sponsored CLE programs
- The Annual Kathleen Blatz Child Advocate and Pro Bono Service Award. Click here for more details and award recipients.
- Investigation of a Child Law Certification program
- Collaboration with child advocacy agencies, such as the Children's Law Center, the Legal Aid Society of Minneapolis and Civil Society
- Promotion of pro bono and legal aid opportunities and trainings for attorneys interested in volunteering in the area of children and the law
- Much more!