You're receiving this newsletter as a member of the MSBA Elder Law Section.

No longer interested? Unsubscribe. Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your browser.
Click here to download a printable PDF version of this week's e-news.

MSBA Section Banner

E-Newsletter of April 5, 2011 | Vol. 4, No. 13

Header

THOUGHTS FROM THE CHAIR

My dear friends and colleagues, I feel that I have just taken a big step in sharing part of the “elder experience”. This past week, my slim, fit, healthy-eating, normal-cholesterol, 55-year-young husband had a heart attack. Fortunately, thanks to the miracles of modern medicine, he is fine and will be ready to go back to his running very soon. But my world has changed.

Actually, of course, my world is the same. I am just now in closer contact with the reality that we all live in. Any day, disaster can strike any one of us, and we need to be ready for it. That advance planning for the things everyone hopes will not happen is a big part of what we offer to our clients. And every day, we all need to appreciate and enjoy to the hilt all the wonderful things that life offers us. I realize that I have been leaving too much joy on the table by not sufficiently appreciating the opportunity to cook for my husband, to rub his feet, to share a joke or a cry with him; and similarly, for the opportunity to appreciate and enjoy all the other people in my life – family, friends, colleagues, students. I have wasted too much time whining and worrying about details and have not spent enough time doing and enjoying the important stuff.

So my message for you this month is: don’t waste the opportunity to enjoy every moment; be aware of the knife’s edge that is life and be prepared for when things go wrong; and take your blood pressure, cholesterol, family history, and other risk factors seriously. Ignorance is not really bliss, and prevention is better than cure. Good health to you all.

Submitted by Jennifer L. Wright
Chair, Elder Law Section Council
Minnesota State Bar Association
Associate Professor of Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law
jlwright1@stthomas.edu

Item of Interest

Header

Governing Council Nominations

The Elder Law section Governing Council is seeking nominations for both the Governing Council, two year terms beginning July 1, 2011, and nominations for council officers, one year terms also commencing July 1, 2011.

The Governing Council typically meets every other month and helps guide and direct the activities of the Elder Law section. We encourage nominations of both individuals you believe would be interested in serving and who would have something to contribute, and self nominations.

Please contact either nominations chair Dan Steinhagen at dsteinhagen@steinhagen-crist.com, or council chair, Jennifer Wright at jlwright1@stthomas.edu with any questions or nominations.

Submitted by Jennifer L. Wright
Associate Professor of Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law
jlwright1@stthomas.edu

Elder Law Institute Planning to Begin

The 2011 ELI Planning Committee will meet three times over the summer to develop the program for this year's ELI, which will be held on October 6-7, 2011. The ELI Planning Committee will meet at the Minnesota CLE offices in St. Paul from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on May 11, May 25, and June 22, 2011. A box lunch will be served at all meetings. Anyone interested in serving on the ELI Planning Committee, submitting ELI program ideas, or speaking at the ELI, may contact the 2011 Elder Law Institute Chair, Suzy Scheller, at suzy@schellerlegalsolutions.com.

Submitted by Vicki M. McIntyre, Esq.
McIntyre Legal Services, LLC
Member Governing Council
Elder Law Section
vmcintyre2@yahoo.com

Link of the Week

Header

Elder Law Radio: Elder Law Answers

Elder Law Radio is a series of podcasts on various elder law topics, such as Why you Need a Healthcare Advocate and Selecting an Assisted Living Facility. The interviews are with law professors, practicing attorneys, family members of victims of elder abuse, and medical professionals.

Submitted by Sarah J. Leonard
Law Student Representative
William Mitchell College of Law
Sarah.leonard@wmitchell.edu

Elder Law News

Header

Northland counties among Minnesota's least healthy -- high rates of binge drinking among senior citizens: Duluth News Tribune

Proposed cuts to Meals on Wheels may have ripple effect: Pioneer Press

Are wheels about to come off Meals on Wheels? GOP bill would cut projected state spending on senior nutrition program grants in half: Marshall Independent

Program tries a new way to treat seniors with dementia: MPR

Harming the Elderly is No Solution to State’s Budget Woes: Star Tribune

Scam artists hit elderly DL couple: DL-Online

Age doesn't keep these folks from working out: Highlands Today

Minn. hospital tries new health care approach: MPR

Senate OKs cuts in care for poor: Star Tribune

AARP May Get $1 Billion on Health Law, House Republicans Say: Bloomberg

Elder Law Cases

Header

There are no Minnesota Cases to report this week.

Elder Law Statutes, Regulations, and Bulletins

Header

There are no statutes, regulations, or bulletins to report this week.

Upcoming Events and CLE Programs

Header

A Review of Changes in the Guardianship and Conservatorship Laws
Hennepin County Bar Association
Probate & Trust Law Section
April 25, 2011
Contact or Other Information:
Online Information

Probate & Trust Law Section Conference
Minnesota CLE
June 6, 2011
Contact or Other Information:
Online Information

Elder Law Section Activities

Header

MA COMMITTEE MEETING: The next MA Committee meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 19, 2011. Topics for the meeting may be submitted to MA Committee Chair, Cathryn Reher, at creher@mnelderlaw.com, or faxed to 952-542-9201. For directions, or to attend by phone, please contact Tracie Fenske with Long, Reher & Hanson, P.A. at 952-929-0622. Please be reminded that the meeting location is: Estate & Elder Law Services (formerly MAO Legal Services), Monroe Village, 1900 Central Avenue NE, Suite 106, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55418. There are a few parking spaces behind the building and lots of street parking. People should walk to the back of the building and come to the back door which faces directly into the meeting room.

GOVERNING COUNCIL: The next meeting of the Elder Law Section Governing Council will be 3:30 p.m. on Friday, April 22, 2011, at Estate & Elder Law Services (formerly MAO Legal Services), Monroe Village, 1900 Central Avenue NE, Suite 106, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55418. There are a few parking spaces behind the building and lots of street parking. People should walk to the back of the building and come to the back door which faces directly into the meeting room. For further information, please contact Jennifer Wright, Chair, at jlwright1@stthomas.edu.

ELDER LAW SECTION ANNUAL MEETING: The 2011 Annual Meeting of the Elder Law Section will be held at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, June 17, 2011, at the offices of Estate & Elder Law Services (formerly MAO Legal Services), located at Monroe Village, 1900 Central Avenue NE, Suite 106, Minneapolis. Please note the meeting date and location changes. There are a few parking spaces behind the building and lots of street parking. People should walk to the back of the building and come to the back door which faces directly into the meeting room. For further information, please contact Vicki McIntyre, Esq. at vmcintrye2@yahoo.com.

Elder Law Website

Header

Here’s what you can find on the Elder Law Section website: Links to the DHS Health Care Programs Manual, the DHS Bulletin on treatment of uncompensated transfers, the Minnesota Bankers Association Compliance Bulletin on Powers of Attorney, legislative summary; Practice Links to organizations such as NAELA, ABA Commission on Law and Aging, Links to Federal and State Government Agencies, Statutes, and Regulations; Meeting Notices, Listings of Officers and Council Members, Section Bylaws, and more.

Go to the Section Website Header