The MSBA's Immigration Section Presents
The June 15, 2012 Deferred Action for America’s Immigrant Youth Announcement:
What is it? Who Qualifies?
Is There A Possibility of Employment Authorization?
How Can the Minnesota Legal Community Help to Prevent the Spread of Scams By Notaries and Others Targeting America’s Young Immigrants and Their Families?
The presenters in this CLE will:
1. Explain the Basics of the Recent June 15, 2012 Deferred Action Memo and Q&A issued by the Department of Homeland Security and covered in the June 15, 2012 Rose Garden Address by President Obama;
2.Address common questions such as: What is it? Who qualifies? Will qualified individuals be eligible for employment authorization? What are the risks, limitations, and potential benefits to deferred action?
3. Address and provide a warning of dangers of coming forward particularly for youth with a criminal history;
4. Address and discuss issues with Minors Applying for Deferred Action;
5. Discuss and warn of potential scams targeting potentially eligible youth and their families, and discuss the number of potentially qualified immigrant youth; and
6. Provide information on how interested lawyers and individuals in the Minnesota legal community can help.
Steven C. Thal; Steven C. Thal PA
John Keller; Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
1.5 hours of Standard CLE credits approved.
Event Code: 170431
Date: Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Time: 12:00 p.m. to 01:45 p.m.
Location: MSBA Offices
600 Nicollet Mall, Suite 380
Minneapolis, MN 55402 [Directions/Map]
Lunch will be provided. Special dietary requests need to be received by August 10.
AILA Members: $15.00
Join the Section and Attend for Free: $16.00
Non-MSBA Members: $20.00
Law Students: Free
Teleconferencing is available. Registrations must be received no later than August 13th. Teleconferencing instructions will be sent by e-mail on Tuesday, August 14th.
Refunds will be processed for cancellation requests received in writing on or before noon on the registration deadline. Requests should be directed to the event contact person listed at the bottom of this notice. Cancellation requests received after this time are not eligible for refunds. You may send a colleague in your place if you are unable to join us and the registration deadline has passed.
Requests for an exception to this policy should be directed to Nicole Battles, Section Services Director, by e-mail or at (612) 278-6336.